Thursday, October 30, 2008

Questioning the media ch. 10

Questioning the Media Ch. 10.

Q1:  What are your earliest recollections of books?  Do you read for pleasure?  If so, what kinds of book do you enjoy?

A:  My first books were short stories that my mom would read to me.  One of my favorite things was for her to read me a bedtime story, and then I could lay in bed and imagine it until I fell asleep.  As I got older and learned to read myself, I became fascinated with Goosebumps.  These novels were scary but also interesting at a young age.  Today, I dont mind reading but my taste has changed form those imaginary fantasies.  I enjoy reading non fiction books about society and basically anything that I can learn and benefit from.  I fined it most interesting to come from reading a book with increased knowledge of a particular subject.

Q3:  If you were opening up an independent bookstore in a town with a major chain, how would you compete?

A:  Being the aspiring entrepreneur that I wish to be, I may one day be opening an independent bookstore.  In order to compete with major bookstores, I would have to provide an atmosphere that was more appealing than the other ones.  Some of the other bookstores have coffee shops, but I could include a more extensive coffee shop with a smoothie bar and bakery.  I would give the potential buyers a very quaint atmosphere to relax in.  This could include large comfortable couches, and perhaps a fire on cold days.  With this I would create an environment that didn't even compare to the chains.

Q4:  Imagine that you are on a committee that oversees book choices for a high school library in your town.  What policies do you think should guide the committee's selection of controversial books?

A:  If I were in control, I would most likely not ban any books from a school library.  I feel that classic literature should not be kept from student just for containing a few bad words or sexual innuendos.  I have been a part of classes that have banned parts of certain books for this reason and I feel it is not right.  Unless we are talking about books with actual graphic pictures, that by law you must be 18 to view, I feel that at the high school no works of literature should be banned.  At this level most all children have been exposed to what they will find, and if not, they have been too sheltered.

No comments: