Thursday, October 30, 2008

Questioning the media ch. 9

Q1:What are you earliest recollections of magazines?  Which magazines do you read regularly today?

A:  My earliest recollections of magazines is probably when I read Sports Illustrated for Kids. From about the time I was 6 or 7, sports in general captivated my interest.  Being too young totally understand the full context of professional organizations, SI for Kids abbreviated some of the top stories and made them more interesting for a younger audience.  I also remember many of the advertisements being for games or sugary cereal.  Today, I read the normal version of Sports Illustrated as it covers the major events in sports with great detail.  However, the ads are not so innocent as they tend to focus on an older audience and promote alcohol and sex.

Q2:  Imagine that you are the marketing director of your favorite magazine.  What would you do to increase circulation?

A:  If I was the marketing director for my favorite magazine, which in this case is Sports Illustrated, I would do whatever I could to sell the most copies.  I would advertise on  major sports networks such as ESPN and during major sporting events on other networks.  This way I could reach out to the largest target audience possible.  One way I could increase circulation is to provide incentive for current customers to recommend people.  This way I could create a large network of customers.  I feel that once sports fans would get a copy of my magazine, they would be hooked.

Q3:  Do you think cable, the internet, and other specialized computer technology will eventually displace magazines?  Why or why not?

A:  I do not think any new technologies will displace current magazines.  The whole idea of a magazine is to have a portable form of literature in a specialized subject, and be able take it anywhere.  With technology and computers you can't necessarily do that.  Sure you can look something up on the internet, but you cant have hundreds of articles to flip through on an airplane.  Plus magazines offer graphics, cut outs and posters that likewise cannot be produced with technology.

No comments: